Oculiflora: A Flower with an Eye
Some plants have prickles. Some have flowers. And some seem to be keeping an eye on things.Meet Eye Spy Bloom, the newest member of my family of crocheted potted plants!
I have a soft spot for crocheted plants in little pots. They bring a bit of greenery indoors without demanding sunlight, watering schedules or apologies for forgetting to water them. My crochet cacti have been happily growing into a little collection, each with its own personality.
And then came this flower.
With plum-purple petals, a bright green iris and a round eyeball right in the middle, it isn't exactly the sort of bloom you'd expect to find in an ordinary garden. But who said gardens have to be ordinary?
I think it fits right in with the rest of my potted plant family. It may not be a cactus, but it has plenty of character. And unlike most flowers, this one can keep an eye on the room.
A Little Botanical Oddity
I love playing with textures, colors and unexpected combinations. Yarn, fabric, different materials and all those little details that make you want to reach out and touch something are my kind of creative playground.
This flower grew from that same love of mixing the familiar with the slightly unexpected. A flower is a familiar shape, but replace its center with an eyeball and suddenly the whole thing has a different personality.
Is it spooky? A little.
Is it cute? I think so.
Make Your Own Oculiflora
If you'd like to add this peculiar plant to your own indoor garden, I've turned the design into a crochet pattern.
The flower has six plum-purple petals surrounding the eyeball, a green calyx, a leaf and a wrapped stem. The crocheted soil insert fits into a small terracotta pot, completing the miniature potted-plant look.
The finished flower is approximately 20 cm (8 in) tall.
You'll need sport or DK weight yarn, a small crochet hook, fiberfill and floral wire to support the stem, along with a little pot to call home.
The pattern is written in US crochet terminology for crocheters who are comfortable with basic stitches, shaping and sewing pieces together.
Welcome to the Family!
Eye Spy Bloom joins my growing collection of crocheted potted plants. I love the idea of creating a whole windowsill garden of tiny handmade oddities, each with its own shape and personality.
Perhaps this flower will have a few unusual relatives one day. A garden can always use another surprise, can't it?
If you crochet your own Oculiflora, I'd love to see it! You're very welcome to share photos of your finished creation.
Happy crocheting!





No comments:
Post a Comment